1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justusnak, Apr 2, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ok, here ismy little guy/girl....at 3 weeks old. Maybe a Cuckoo Maran? At 3 weeks, should I see a comb if it a roo?? Ohhh I hope its a hen![​IMG] This was my freebie from MM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas??Hen? Roo?

2. lively Bee's

lively Bee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    With the yellow legs it is going to be a barred rock. Maran have white/pink legs.

I cant tell from the photo if it is a roo or not.

3. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, as lively Bee's pointed out, it's not a Cuckoo Maran due to it having yellow legs. But Barred Rocks are nice too (and look pretty much the same when full-grown -except the legs, of course)!

And again, it's hard to see in the photo, but my completely unprofessional opinion is leaning towards pullet. No guarantees though! [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Is a Barred Rock considered an "exotic" This is my exotic freebie. Either way...it is soo friendly, and fast becoming one of my favorites!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Definitely not exotic by any stretch, but I love Barred Rocks.

6. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    my exotic once was a white ee roo, with no beard, tufts, anything, just a pea comb and green legs. not exotic at all. he's pretty though and is currently in a pen with my ee ladies making me babies. [​IMG]

7. bhadrika

bhadrika Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Mansfield, MA
    That bird looks EXACTLY like my two cuckoo marans, whatever the leg color. Anyone have any history of MM switching in Barred Rocks for Cuckoos, hoping we neophytes will be fooled? I can't tell male or female on mine, either, but have a sneaking suspicion they're both male, sigh... Anyone know why MM only had straight run for Cuckoos? Seems rather mean, after playing up the dark eggs, to them make it hard to be sure of a pullet.

Bhadrika

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm leaning toward pullet on that one... but give it a couple more weeks and it will be much easier to tell. BRs seem to show their sex early!

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

You know, it might be a Dominique -they have yellow legs and barred plumage -and MM labels them as "rare and unusual." I still think the legs are far too yellow to be a Cuckoo Maran though. Either way, looks like it will be pretty! [​IMG]

10. Venumfire

Venumfire Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    At 5 weeks, if the comb changes from pale to red, it is a roo. If it stays pale for 8 weeks it is a hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by