cuckoo maranas started laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ga_goat, Jul 29, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    and the eggs are not dark , shoot they are only ½ as dark as my 5 RIR's , did I get sold a bill of goods and they aren't true cuckoo's or do they get darker with age ?? they grew faster than any other chickens I have ever raised . is this normal for maranas ?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Where did you get your chicks? If they were from a hatchery it's not surprising they aren't very dark. Sometimes they'll darken up a little but most often they're the darkest they're going to be when they first start laying.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Here is a pic of mine they're hatchery ones not as dark as the ones I hatched myself but I'm pretty sure they would be a 4 and that's as light as they can go and still be a "Marans"

[​IMG]

the other brown eggs are Delawares, Rocks and a meatie cross...

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    My Maran just started laying she gave me a tiny egg

this is what i was getting before thinking it was my Maran laying
    [​IMG]

This is what I thought was hers but now seems i have a mystery layer.
    but the eggs have gotten bigger after this tiny one.
    [​IMG]

I guess when they start they are strange then get darker as they go......? I can't think of anything else it could be.

5. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I don't really know the first eggs were funny and small but still dark brown some spotted now they are (after 2 weeks) getting the shine that Marans eggs are supposed to have and the color is deepening to a red clay or brick color. My Cuckoos are penned separate so I know who is laying what you can't use the eggs they lay for the first month to judge their color....I was only hoping that they would at least lay a 4 being hatchery girls and it looks like they might. Yes people have said they sometimes get darker and mine are getting a deeper color. I have younger pullets from much darker eggs so I dunno what they will lay this is my first time raising Marans so I'm learning as I go [​IMG] I have seen Cuckoo eggs as dark as Black Coppers but the darkest I've hatched is a 6 or 7...

6. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I am new to this too is there some type of chart how do you know what number the color is?

7. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    the Marans of America site...I copied one need to buy one too... There is a thread in the breeds section full of Marans people who are very helpful they've been teaching me lots [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. StormyMoon

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Thank you lotsapaints [​IMG]

and to the OP this is very helpful......

9. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Well I have 4 hens and was able to put fingernail polish on the toe nails on them all as they were laying and none laid a dark egg, so I just moved them into the laying pen with the other crossbreeds and the 2 roos in the butcher pen for the nextime I have time to get around to that and emptied another pen . .. next time I will hatch the eggs myself and not trust someone else's word .

10. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:Sorry that happened to you I too had problems even with hatching eggs they cam from dark eggs but sure are not up to the SOP so I understand your frustrations I would try and get hatching eggs from somebody on this board I've seen plenty of nice ones...after I spent my money

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by