Cuckoo Marans ALWAYS lay a dark egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    The reason I ask is that I have a new one and she has not laid for me, yet. I just went down back to visit and there were two eggs waiting for me. One egg is kinda two toned that I am thinking that might be from slacker RIR and another smallish, light brown with white speckles. I am just wondering if my CM laid this one possibly. My Black Copper lays a nice dark egg, so I am expecting something similar. Gosh, who knows. I also have another RIR who molted, maybe this is her first one out of the pipes for months. Just curious....

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I absolutely depends on the stock. Mine lay nice dark eggs, though a washed-out one could occasionally occur. Many times there were speckles. I hear there's a wide array for coloring, though, with some just laying a normal brown egg.

3. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When my RIR started laying after a lengthy hiatus, she layed a two tonish eggs, lots of brown speckles on one side, then she gradually went medium brown, now a light-medium. [​IMG] I really liked those speckled eggs! I think it is your RIR, but my Marans haven't started laying yet, so my experience is kinda one sided. But your egg description matches Henrietta's eggs (and that was before Maran acquisitions).

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have hatchery stock CM and they don't lay particularly dark eggs, not like a breeder line can. Mine are very often speckled. They are definitely darker than my Black Stars, but nothing eyepopping yet. They have gotten a bit darker in just the few weeks they've been laying, but mine will never be as dark as a nicely bred one. I'm ok with that [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yeah, what every one else has said. Depends upon the stock... what color egg it came out of, what color egg it's daddy came out of...

I've seen Marans that lay light brown and VERY dark.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Mine lay a nice Hershey bar brown egg in the beginnings of their lay cycle that slowly fades out to what any Barred Rock can lay by the end of their cycle. You can have dark eggs or lots of eggs, but you can't have both out of the same bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by