1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Marans and cold weather

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ole-crone, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

This is just an observation I've made this winter. We have @100 chickens with all sorts of combs. Our winters here can get down to -30F but we rarely see frostbite damage to combs.

We had one rooster that lost all of the spikes on his one year and a muscovy duck whose knob over his nose tends to freeze but the weather hasn't gotten down as cold as it does to do that damage. It's only been down to between -5&-10F.

However, I started noticing damage to our CM's comb about the time the temps were hitting freezing. It started with the tips but now he has a black circle of dead comb right in the middle. We'll keep an eye on him to see what happens but it does make me wonder if CMs is a breed that shouldn't be kept in cold areas.

We have leghorns, welsummers, and buttercups with large combs but theirs all look fine - just the CM and the andalusian look like the cold is bothering theirs.

Anyone else notice this?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had my cuckoos for 6 years and haven't experianced too much comb damage on them from the cold......and it does get very cold here.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I had a cuckoo marans roo last winter who lost most of his comb from frostbite but we are talking -40 temps for what seemed like weeks on end. I did try vasoline but i dont think it helped much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by