Cuckoo Marans, Are they loud?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NCchickenlady, Dec 3, 2008.

1. NCchickenlady

NCchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Hi,
    I just picked up two beautiful Cuckoo Marans and one is just screaming ! The other seems fine. Is this a cuckoo maran thing or is something wrong? She is eating, pooping, snacking and seems fine other then this intense sceaming... Everyone else (chickens) just looks at her like shes lost her mind.....
    Thanks for any input. Can they get lonely and miss their old flock?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine aren't any louder than the rest of my girls. They're just like people....some are louder than others.

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    My 1st Cuckoo Maran, Myrtle, is nice and quiet, no noisier than any of the others.
    Of my 7 week old hatchlings, 3 are cuckoo marans & there is indeed one 'screamer' in that group--the other 2 are more normal.

4. NCchickenlady

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Quote:Oh boy, I live in a neighborhood and I'm affaid if she keeps it up I may have to place her. I'm gonna give it a few days and see but man is she loud!!!!!!

Thanks for the info

5. NCchickenlady

May 4, 2008
    raleigh
    Ok, I figured it out, She is a new egg layer and I guess she needs to talk about it before she lays. She was talkin all day I finally got sick of hearing it and put her in the coop. I went out an hour later and there was a nice brown egg and a nice happy hen.......

6. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is too funny! I am interested because I have two marans chicks and they are already loud!

I live in a tiny suburban house and yard, and my neighbors will not enjoy that. Screaming. OMG the things you never think of when you start getting chickens!

Good luck that it gets easier for her.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I was going to ask if she was egg laying age?! My silkies are so very quite most the time... until egg laying time... then it gets REALLY loud out in the coop. They've been doing the egg laying thing for months, and they are pretty quiet now... the thrill runs out after awhile! LOL

By the way... Hey neighbor!

P.S. - Are you in Raleigh outskirts? I know I got one of my silkies from Raleigh because they got caught going over the limit and she was being picked on anyways. Did raleigh increase their limit? That would be even better!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. PrisonARNP

PrisonARNP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Leavenworth, Kansas
    Quote:My Cuckoo Marans were just like that when they first started to lay. Now they only make a fuss if one of there sisters takes there favorite nesting box.

9. kie4

kie4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Malvern, PA
    My Coop
    My BCM is really loud! She is 20 weeks old, has a red face, comb and wattles, but doesn't squat for me. She calms down when I let her out to free range. I'm hoping this volume will go down after she lays her first egg. I might lock her in for a day to make sure she's not hourding eggs under a bush somewhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  10. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I have never figured out what evolutionary advantage there may have been that would have lead to a prey animal loudly announcing to every predatory species within earshot that it has just produced something that could be made into a delicious meal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by