Cuckoo Marans....are they??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by njchicks, Oct 24, 2010.

1. njchicks

njchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Hi all,

Bought these 4 birds in April. THought they were all hens but one turned out to be a big beautiful roo. Anyway, they have started to lay. They eggs are small and darker in color than my rhode island reds and other brown eggs, but not the deep chocolate brown I have seen on cuckoo maran eggs. Are these birds indeed cuckoo marans? I am going to attempt to post to photos. THanks for any help you can offer. Rob in central NJ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

They look like them to me but you would get better results if you post in the ID thread...HTH TErri O

3. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    They look just like mine. I also got her in April, but I think I have no eggs from her yet. It's hard for me to tell though if she is laying yet. My golden comet lays big dark brown eggs. My Cuckoo Maran is roosting in a maple tree rather than in the coop, not sure why. I will have to clip her flight feathers this week end. Every morning I have to walk her back to the door of the run to let her inside. She wants back in in the morning but I guess she only can get out and not back over and in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by