Cuckoo Marans- color sexing chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by trailhound, Jun 27, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    On an impulse buy, my neighbor and I purchased a batch of 9 cuckoo Maran chicks today- they are about a week old. I was just trying to do a little research about this breed and read that the males are lighter than the females, and that one might even be able to color sex them as chicks. I kept two and she kept seven. They are mostly black with white patches on their heads, bellies and a little white at the tips of their wings. First of all, is this what cuckoo Maran chicks should look like (I just took the person's word for it), and second- there were a few that did look a little grayer than black, and one didn't have the white patch- perhaps those were the boys? Has anyone had and experience with color sexing this breed?

Thanks!
    Andrea

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    They are typically very easy to sex at that age. Yes, the lighter gray ones were probably the roosters--the hens will be dark (black) with a more distinct yellow patch on the back of the head.

I'll see if I can dig up any decent pics that show the two sexes side-by-side for you...

Here you go. These are of just-hatched chicks.

Boy:
    [​IMG]

Girl:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  3. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Wow! Thanks! Mine have white spots on the back of their heads- does that mean they are a silver cuckoo? After seeing the difference in yours that makes me pretty sure I have girls! Now I want to go back to the neighbors and compare. I am excited to have this breed, I love the egg color and I have wanted a black and white chicken for a long time.

Thanks for your help!
    Andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by