Cuckoo Marans~Good Layers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens4jojo, Nov 26, 2008.

1. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Are cuckoo marans good or (hopefully) excellent layers?

I think their eggs are beautiful from the pics I have seen of them & may try some in the spring. [​IMG]

2. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

boy I hope someone answers your question. I agree they are gorgous eggs and also plan on getting some soon but I have no idea how reliable they are at laying [​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I know someone who has cuckoo marans, and she got them from someone who has a lot of spurred hens in her flock. She googled spurred hens and it says they are lousy layers. If you are buying cuckoos, ask how big the spurs are on the hens. Not sure if it runs in the variety as a whole, or just in that lady's flock.

4. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I have Cuckoo Marans, and have had an adult hen for almost a year now. Only one of my hens is laying, the younger pullets I have seem to be pretty slow to mature and are not laying yet. The hen I have that lays does need longer daylight to lay, compared to the rest of my birds, she has slowed down significantly due to the shorter days. (One egg in two weeks vs an egg a day in the warmer/longer days)...So for the longer days of the year, for me, yes, a very good layer, then in the shorter days of winter - nope, not a good layer!
    Thats my experience.
    Tina

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly......no. [​IMG] My hen and my friends both have spurs. Hers lays much better than mine. I have not gotten an egg since September from her.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine are pretty good layers for the first year, but their second year they slow down and go broody a lot. Those are my cuckoos. I'm hoping the Wheatens that have just started laying will be different.

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Katy where did you get your wheaton's?Also how are your Blue Wyandotte's doing?

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thank you all for your help~~I may try a different bird instead, but, still, those eggs are soooo pretty! [​IMG]

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I got my wheatens from Bev Davis and a girl named Laura...can't think of her last name right off hand.

My blue wyandottes are doing good and laying the best of any of my pullets.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I have had them for 8-9 years now.I wouldnt buy them if you want year round eggs. They probably lay from Feb thru Aug. then thats not counting the Broody ones.They do make good mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by