1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo marans - good mothers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chuckleberry, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Chuckleberry

Chuckleberry Out Of The Brooder

I have a 3 yr old cuckoo marans hen who goes broody 2 or 3 times every year. Next spring I would like to get her to hatch out some eggs, but I was wondering what sort of mother is likely be to the chicks. As my flock is entirely free-range, none of my chickens are aggressive but she is the most short-tempered of them all. Is this likely to mean that she will lose her temper with the chicks or will she be more protective of them? I would be grateful for any experience/info out there.

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I think people mistake normal pecking order behaviors as being "mean" or "short-tempered". Unless she draws blood, she's just defending her position. The higher in the order she is, the better for brooding chicks, IMO.

3. Chuckleberry

Chuckleberry Out Of The Brooder

Thank you, that's a really encouraging thought. I shall certainly give her a go. She is a large bird, and should be able to cover eggs well, and I don't think she has ever harmed another chook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by