Cuckoo Marans - need your guesses on sexes

lisahaschickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I have six Cuckoo Marans chicks that came straight-run. I am new to chickens and have been spending the past three weeks trying to guess the sexes. I have one that I'm fairly convinced is a young roo. The others I have no clue. One person had pics and told me that his girls still have virtually no comb growth at 11 weeks old. But, I see lots of pics around the web of hens with well-developed combs. Mine all have a little comb growth at this point and I'm wondering if I could have all boys? I really hope I have at least one pullet because I ordered them because I want pretty, dark eggs!

Any thoughts on my pics and the genders, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I also would love to see other pics of young Cuckoo Marans... I can find lots of pics of newborns and adults, but juvenile pics seem hard to come by.

This is the one I think is a boy. He has a lot of white in his feathering and is by far my biggest chick and the most developed with the longest tail, and is kind of a macho, pain in the butt.
23722_lady_b_goes_to_town_017.jpg

The others all pretty much confuse me. Three have really developed tails and are really feathered out and some have almost no tails and little feathering so far.
23722_marans_pics_018.jpg

23722_marans_pics_024.jpg

23722_marans_pics_034.jpg

23722_marans_pics_035.jpg

23722_marans_pics_044.jpg

23722_marans_pics_052.jpg

23722_marans_pics_033.jpg

23722_marans_pics_028.jpg

Thoughts anyone? Do I have any pullets? I appreciate it!

hmmm.... ok, well... I have another post about this and I now have two votes for 5 girls, one boy... and one vote of three boys three girls. I appreciate the feedback! More is welcome!

Also, I should I have said this before, but pics 2, 3, and 8 are repeats of the same bird and so are 5 & 6. I only have 6 total. I was trying to get various angles, but didn't think to label them.

Thanks again!

cool, thanks. That would be very exciting if it were the case. I will keep my fingers crossed
smile.png
I know that the boys are supposed to be way lighter but until the last few days, all my birds looked remarkably similar. I have been staring at their coloring every day for weeks now
smile.png
And then all of a sudden, that roo started to be a lot lighter. I'm hoping everyone else stays dark! But, like I said.. I would definitely settle for even just one hen
smile.png

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom