Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rock?

Rosypetals

Songster
Jan 11, 2018
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
i bought a now 5 week old chicken that the farm store had sexed as a Pullets, and as a Cuckoo Marans, but now that I look closer, she looks a lot like a rooster Barred Rock. She doesn’t have a yellow beak and legs though, which throws me off. When she was a chick, she was pitch black and yellow, and her legs were almost completely black. She also towers over her America’s a and black austrolorp sister. Does anyone know why she is so different?

*edit-I apologize for the fuzzy pictures, if there is something in specific you need to see, tell me and I’ll post another photo.*

That sure looks like a boy to me. My cuckoo marans didn't have a comb that big, or legs that stocky at 5 weeks. The comb also looks pretty pink for that age.

I only have cuckoo marans hens, but I have read that the males have more white in their appearance than the females, so that could explain the difference in coloring at least.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that bird being a male might answer a lot of your questions....

That sure looks like a boy to me. My cuckoo marans didn't have a comb that big, or legs that stocky at 5 weeks. The comb also looks pretty pink for that age.

I only have cuckoo marans hens, but I have read that the males have more white in their appearance than the females, so that could explain the difference in coloring at least.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think that bird being a male might answer a lot of your questions....
Thank you so much!

better than the Cuckoo Marans I got from the feed store.
cuckoo maran.jpg
HA! White eggs. This Black Shumen is like a Minorca but smaller and was a very, very flighty bird. Lovely green iridescent feathers on black. The Free EE Rooster I had favored these two and two Amethyst Gems - always escaping. Sold them off and the EE Roosters combination should make for an interesting hybrid. Was a great deal for the gal!!!

Attachments

• Jason.jpg
    Jason.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 3
Sorry,

These were hens and with white eggs these were NOT Cuckoo Marans and CM's do not have black/green plumage.

I said nothing about eggs.... and a cuckoo marans dark bars will sheen greenish. Any black on any bird will sheen. My silver spangled hamburg's black spots sheen.

Oh, and the bird(s) in OP's pictures are in fact cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom