Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cejunes, Jul 24, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    I'm pretty sure these girls are marans (the two black and white ones in the middle) but I have a friend that is insistent on the fact that they are barred rocks. They are about 13 weeks old so I can't go by egg color yet. They do have feathered legs but only on the outside of their legs. No feathers down the inside. Any input?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    What color are the legs. I think barreds are yellowish and the marans are more white. Having feathered legs though makes me think Marans.

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yep they should be Marans since they have feathered leggs.

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:agreed. Rocks don't have feathered legs. Marans should have light feathering, just like yours!

5. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Marans since they have the feathered legs. Not all marans have featherd legs though, depends on the breeder and which standard the birds are bred towards.

6. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I have a black copper marans, AND a barred rock. My barred rock does not have feathered legs. My marans does. I think that's the french maran that has the feathered legs [​IMG]

Jen

7. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Neither my marans nor my barred rocks have feathered legs, but the rocks have yellowish-orange legs and the marans have pinkish legs.

8. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:agreed. Rocks don't have feathered legs. Marans should have light feathering, just like yours!

x3

9. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Where did you get them from? They don't really look like Marans even with the feathered legs. Could they be mixes? Barred Rock x Cochin or something along those lines?

10. sammileah

sammileah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    central ia
    my rock have no feathers on legs but i understand your confusion. i met my 1st cuckoo maran today and i thought it was a Rock. 2 things i noticed campared to rock cuckoo's markins are more blurred, but petting her was like petting silk. my rocks are soft but nothing like that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by