Cuckoo Marans or something else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by donnavee, Jun 19, 2011.

1. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I got a batch of chicks from Meyer this year which included Cuckoo Marans, Dominiques, and one Barred Rock. At first, they all looked the same but now at 10wks old I can tell the BR and the Dominiques. So, the only 2 left are the Cuckoo Marans, but they look totally different.

Mystery chick #1: has some brown feathering around in her neck feathers and yellow legs with black shading on the front
    [​IMG]

Mystery chick #2: has white legs and no brown mixed in with her feathers
    [​IMG]

So, do either of these look like Cuckoo Marans to you? Are they just poor hatchery quality or was I sent something different. They are both sweet girls so I love them whatever they are.

2. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    #2 looks like a cuckoo maran but #1 looks like a barred rock mixed with something.

3. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Gee, I don't remember ordering that breed???[​IMG] I don't expect my money back or anything but maybe I should let Meyer know. I can't be the only person that this happened to.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    odd....the 1st one looks BSL/BR/Dominique...

the 2nd one looks BR/Dominique...not sure, I have BR pullets, and your 2nd looks like them, but so does the top one, legs color is different but who knows, sorry not much help!

5. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Pullet #1 could be a hatchery Golden Cuckoo Marans.

Neither are show quality according to the APA acceptance of the MCCUSA' s recommended standard calling for feathered legs.

Enjoy them for what they are!

6. donnavee

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have some Dominiques too and one Barred Rock, their coloring is similiar but more of a black and white pattern than #2 - and their legs aren't yellow. The Dominques also have a rose comb which is how I tell them apart from the BR. I know they will continue to change as they get older. Fun to see what they will finally end up looking like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by