Cuckoo Marans Owners??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BackyardCountry, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    This spring, we are looking to buy a cuckoo marans chick for our small flock. Does anyone have any experience with this breed? Are they flighty or calm?? what color is their eggs?? any pictures??? Mucho appreciated!

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If you buy clean legged ones from a hatchery,the eggs probabl won't be very dark, but I've just contacted quailladyoffortmyers about buying some hatching eggs from her and hers are a true featherlegged french line and the pics of them and the eggs on her website look really nice.
    http://www.stellar-gamebirds.com/French-Cuckoo-Marans.html

3. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I have one Cuckoo hen Her name is Penelope and she is one of my favorite hens. She is one of my first chickens. She is hatchery quality never layed well and her eggs are much lighter than my other Marans. She is over two years now. She decided to go broody this year and she has raised three chicks perfectly. She has never been flighty, but does not like to be held.

Here she is with her big babies...
    [​IMG]

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Mine are/where from Ideal Poultry, they're fairly calm but not lap birds. The brown egg in this picture is from my last remaining CM's egg:
    [​IMG]

My remaining CM:
    [​IMG]

One of my CMs with chicks (almost all of my 5 went broody):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another egg picture, but a funky shaped one:
    [​IMG]

5. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    These are some of her eggs. Hers are the lower ones. They often are speckled.
    [​IMG]

6. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    My experience with Black Copper Marans shows them to be very calm and gentle birds, not at all flighty, but sometimes broody. Mine lay very dark brown (with a redish hew) most of the time, but do get lighter during the laying cycle. I have plenty of pictures on my website. Hope this helps.

Sorry, just realized you said Cuckoo Marans, my mistake.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Love my cuckoos but my were from a gold cuckoo hatch. They were never aggressive and layed very well. Egg color was exceptionally dark for gold cuckoo, actually entered them into our fair and won! I have since sold my parent stock and hatched out some of their offspring to continue on with for this year. Have some gorgeous double dose gold males growing out along with a couple of pullets and some nice gold salmon pullets. [​IMG]

Young group growing out
    [​IMG]

Eggs they came from
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by