Cuckoo Marans roo with golden streaks on wings/back?!? (Photo)

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
What does it mean when a cuckoo Marans has very light golden patches on his back, along his wings?

He used to be all cuckoo until recently. At first I thought he was just dirty, it almost looks like he slept under the roost pole.
lol.png
Then I caught him and checked it closer and realized those were actually feathers coming in a golden color.

I don't really care if he's a perfect cuckoo marans, but I'm curious if this will effect the chicks he fathers. They will be all barnyard mixes, but the previous cuckoo Maran fathered all barred chicks. Will his be all barred or will the golden coloring come into play for some surprises?

Last edited:
It would help if you would post a photo. Could be sunburned feathers or ... Barring is incompletely dominant. If the babies receive a barring gene, it will show unless turned off by something like recessive white.

They will be all barnyard mixes, but the previous cuckoo Maran fathered all barred chicks. Will his be all barred or will the golden coloring come into play for some surprises?

If he has two genes for barring all of his offspring will inherit a barring gene from him.
The gold could be the result of various things, but it will not alter the inheritance of barring.​

Two possibilities,if he was previously correct, UV radiation (sunlight) has bleached some of his plumage. See what he looks like after he moults.
Secondly,if he has always had these gold feathers, he is split for silver & gold. Cuckoo Marans should be silver based.
David

Here's a picture. The gold is pretty faint but you can see it clearly from a few feet away when you look at him.

643123053_rbMLC-M.jpg

His hatch mate, another roo, is totally black and white. No gold.

Back
Top Bottom