cuckoo marans roo x buff orp hen = what chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaintedMeadows, Sep 21, 2010.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    We have a buff orp hen that just hatched out some chicks from a cuckoo marans roo. It looks like 3 are black with a bit of yellow and one is brownish and yellow. She just hatched them this morning so I don't want to disturb them too much as she has 2 more eggs to hatch. Can I sex the chicks from this match? We are really hoping for hens as we only have 2 left after the fox cleared out 6 chicks and a hen in june. If anyone has pictures of this match I would love to see them.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You will not get red sex links or black sex links from that cross. If it were a Buff Orp roo and a CM hen, you would have a black sex link chick. I think Tadkerson's article explains it well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The Maran does not show up on Tadkerson's chart as good for feather sexing, but I would not totally rule it out. I think the Maran is a Continental breed. It might be fun to check.

I don't really understand how you could get those different colored chicks from those purebred parents. I suspect either one of them is not purebred but is actualy a cross (probably the roo) or maybe all the eggs were not from the Buff Orp.

3. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    I only have 2 buff orp hens and 2 cuckoo marans roos. No one else around here. It looked brownish but she is still sitting on 2 eggs so I just peeked under her. I could be wrong, maybe it is more grey. Looked brownish and I don't could be one of the roos though. I bought the eggs from another guy that lives near us so...... I'll go read the link.

4. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    OK. I took a closer look at the chicks and they look alot like the CMs when they were hatched. There is a lighter one though with more yellow on it and almost stripes on it's face. Would the lighter be a male even though they aren't full blooded CMs? I'm curious as to what they will look like. Will they just look like CMs or with they look like a cross between the buff orp and CMs? Great link by the way. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by