1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cuckoo marans roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by presley, Oct 2, 2011.

1. presley

presley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    I recently got a young cuckoo marans roo , I already had a young blue marans pullet. Not planning on showing, may breed a few but mostly want the eggs. Just wanted to see what you guys think of them, I really think the blue one is pretty and would love to have more like her. If I do breed these two, any idea the outcome as far as color? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    She's a beautiful bird. He's much lighter than what I've seen before, but then I'm new with the breed.

Sorry, I am completely new at color genetics in chickens.

Deb

3. triplejfarms

triplejfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    doesnt realy look cuckoo maran? he is very light,
    here is mine he is allot darker maybe yours will darken? the blue girl is nice if you cross the 2 you will get a blue cuckoo type..
    [​IMG]

4. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    well I thought he was mighty light also, but was told he would get darker. Hes not but about 3-4 months old. I didn't really want cuckoo marans roo, I wanted a blue one but could not locate one. He is a very sweet roo.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    He has a columbian pattern which is extremely rare in Marans so it's anybody guess just how pure Marans he is as he doesn't have feathered shanks.

6. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    I thought the cuckoos didn't have the feathered legs.

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    American Marans are following the French Standard right now only the Black Coppers are approved next is Wheaten and then Cuckoo and the Blue Coppers. English Cuckoos are clean legged and American birds are not always pure either...there was no standard until just recently He's a pretty rooster just doesn't look pure.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Still- he does have a barring gene. Maybe just one copy. All your offspring will be slightly cuckoo and 1/2 will be blue and 1/2 will be black.

9. presley

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks , that's all I wanted anyway. Some dark eggs and pretty chickens!

10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Sorry he will never be a cuckoo maran, he is just a mix and with luck a Maran Mix...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by