Cuckoo marans rooster crossed with a splash marans...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ctaynton, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    What color of chicks with I get if I cross my Cuckoo Marans rooster with my splash Marans hen? How about my black marans rooster over splash hens? Is the black going to be dominate? I have 2 Splash Marans hens and a Cuckoo and Black Marans roosters. What can I cross to get a Blue Marans?

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    When you mate your splash hen to a bc roo you will always get blue coppers the other way is a mutt color not much good for anything except dark eggs. There is a Marans thread you should introduce yourself and show off your birds...

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Cuckoo roo on Splash hens will give all blue Cuckoo chicks. Black roo on Splash hens will give all blue chicks.

4. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:No that's the wrong way to cross and they will not breed true.....even crossing a blue to a cuckoo hen will give you many color culls and about 3 years to get it done..just saying

5. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No that's the wrong way to cross and they will not breed true.....even crossing a blue to a cuckoo hen will give you many color culls and about 3 years to get it done..just saying

We are not talking about using Blue or Balck Coppers here, the OP said Black so yes solid Black on Splash or Cuckoo on Splash works the same way in any breed as I said to begin with. Theres no color culls to worry about if you're not using coppers.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Did I miss something here?
    The OP's question was
    Quote:and if you cross a Cuckoo Marans Rooster with my splash Marans Hen you would get a Blue Cuckoo/ barred offspring just like Clint (RAREROO) said..

Where did the Blue Coppers come from?

Lotsapaints,
    When you used the abbreviation bc were you referring to Black Cuckoo, Blue Cuckoo, Black Coopers or Blue Coopers?
    Quote:Chris

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    My mistake I read Black Copper for some reason so when he mates the splash hen with that roo he gets blues maybe as I've found Marans to not be "cleanly" bred some blacks are Black Coppers with too much melanizers so you don't get what you see and Cuckoos depending on the bloodlines have Goldens show up and you can get whites from breeding Cuckoos too.....If it were that easy to breed a cuckoo roo to a Black Copper and get Goldens the market place would be flooded with them but I know you are way better than me on knowledge of what should happen. I do know for sure crossing a splash with any color gives you one blue gene to go with the other color.

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    It would not be a problem if hobby names and abbreviations were not used in these posts. The correct name for a Black Copper is a Brown-Red, and for Cuckoo it's a Silver Cuckoo. Black is Black.

9. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Well Cuckoo and Silver Cuckoo are slightly different right ? From my understanding

Cuckoo = Barred Black
    Silver Cuckoo = Barred Birchin
    Golded Cuckoo = Barred Brown Red ( Barred Black Copper )

Is that right ?

10. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:Well Cuckoo and Silver Cuckoo are slightly different right ? From my understanding

Cuckoo = Barred Black
    Silver Cuckoo = Barred Birchin
    Golded Cuckoo = Barred Brown Red ( Barred Black Copper )

Is that right ?

Here is a great website for understanding way better than I could ever do and it explains what I didn't even try to explain with breeding any Cuckoo pattern there is more to it than you suggested scroll down to the bottom of the page http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by