Cuckoo Marans, rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elite8, May 30, 2010.

1. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    I got two chicks one week old that probably came from a hatchery. Both were supposed to be hens of course. As they grew older the comb and wattle on one became much larger and deeper red in color. At 8 weeks the one that I thought might be a rooster began to crow. At that time I thought that I had one rooster and one hen. Gradually the other grew larger also and the comb and wattles developed as well but still not as big. They are now the same size and much larger than the other breeds...wellsummer, blrw and ee. Only the one crows though and they are now about 14 weeks old. Do I have two roosters? How large do the hens get and what do their combs look like compared to a rooster?

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    usually the hens are alot darker than the roos, do you have any pics ?

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yes, pics would help. If they are the same color then they are both cockerals, hens/pullets are darker than roos

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    I do have older pics from when they were about 10 wks old. Still need to figure out how to upload. They are pretty much the same as far as how dark. If anything the roo actually looks darker. If they are both roos than why does only one crow?

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    could be a dominance thing, my dom roo's little brother never crowed till I got rid of big bro and he was plenty old....

6. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    [​IMG]

That does make sense. This is a pic from when they were about 8 wks old. I'll take some more tomorrow to show what they look like now.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

both roosters

8. elite8

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is what they look like now. One in question is in the back. It does look like a rooster...

9. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Both roosters.Sorry

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by