1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Marans sexing experts...............

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by claud, Mar 24, 2008.

1. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Or anyone that knows...........
    Tell me again, please, how you can tell the difference between the male and female Cuckoo Marans chicks by their color. I know the males are lighter than the females. I am sitting here looking at my 3 day old chicks and I think I see one that may be male, and then, no.. maybe not...and then.. that's definitely a female...and then, no, maybe not..........
    What exactly am I looking for? Some have more yellow/silver on their breast and some have bigger spots on their heads. Some are just starting to get little wing feathers - anything to look for on them?
    Thanks for any and all help!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think you just have to wait til you can tell the color difference. Maybe as they feather in more you will be able to tell better. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    There is a pic of two 4 day old chicks on feathersite the look distinctly different - one a pullet the other a cockeral. But mine don't look that easy:(

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    yeah, thats the way it would happen for me too i'm sure [​IMG] I want a cuckoo Marans pullet soooooo bad. I might just buy a few eggs to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by