Cuckoo marans X Araucana 7 weeks old...what sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplesquirrel, Jul 6, 2016.

1. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    So here we are again...do my eyes deceive me as I pray that it is a pullet and not a roo?..

The cockerels were; cuckoo marans & black rocks
    The hens; RIR, Cuckoo marans, Copper marans, Araucana, leghorn/Minorca

It is definitely a cuckoo maran of some sort. At first I thought it was PURE cuckoo marans but I noticed it has a pea or rose comb, hinting at an Araucana cross.
    There was a blue/green egg in the incubator but a lot of the eggs hatched over night so I wasn't sure who came out of it.
    By colouration alone, if it were a pure cuckoo marans I assume it would be male from the ratio of white flecks, but if crossed with an Araucana I assume this is no longer the rule?
    I am unsure of the colour of the Araucana hens.

So, firstly am I right about the cross? And the bigger question, IS IT A BOY OR A GIRL?!
    There is a pink tinge to the super small wattles and comb, and it often fades back to almost white skin.

I took these photos today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Right now, it doesn't look like a cockerel. If it was pure bred I would say boy. It is young, so this could change.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I pretty much agree with everything your are thinking...but hoping against.

It should be a cockerel. With barring/cuckoo the males have larger white barring and lighter colored legs. Females should have darker barring and legs.

It has a pea comb. The Araucana is the only pea combed fowl you listed. So, the mother would have to be an Araucana.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by