cuckoo Marans Yes or no

greathorse

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Northern Colorado
I have a couple of nice varieties of Marans and also have a few hatchery Cuckoo Marans. I dont like them much as they are flighty, dont lay very well and the eggs are small. The eggs are fairly dark but not awesome. If I were to get into some really good Cuckoo Marans, tell me if I would like them better. especially how well do the better bred cuckoo lay?

Thanks

i only have 3 hens and i roo cuckoo marans... and i LOVE THEM.. they are huge and calm.. i get 2 eggs a day from the 3 hens..
that is all i can say these are my first marans..
i got them from IDEAL

We have a cuckoo marans. She just started laying last week, and has layed a nice big egg every day since for us. She isn't fully grown yet, and is laying an egg that is every bit as big if not bigger than any of the other larger, somewhat older breeds.

Edited to add: She and her roo came from Alaskan hen house. I believe they are also members of BYC. We purchased 6 pullets and the roo from them when my son and son-in-law made a trip down to Wasilla a short while ago. They were very well taken care of-very happy with them!!!

Last edited:
My hatchery Cuckoo's are from Meyer hatchery they lay fairly dark and are not flighty at all and are large. They are not great layers though but I have found no Marans varties are. They are just as friendly as my blue and black coppers

I have several Cuckoo Marans from a breeder. They are wonderful! Very docile and friendly. They lay well, too. I think you just got some bad ones, which can happen with any breed.

I like mine and I think the eggs are lovely!

13604_cuckoo_marans_eggs_1-06-2009_037.jpg

I love mine. I have 8 hens that have been laying since summer. They are huge and so sweet and calm. They lay very well and the eggs are very dark. I have 3 Roos and 6 more hens that I hatched in September, so by spring I am hoping I can put them all together and have a nice cuckoo flock by themselves. I got mine from someone on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom