Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by morninggloryhatchery, Sep 11, 2009.

1. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Hi![​IMG]
    I have some Cuckoo Maran chicks hatching at the moment i have 2 that are already in the brooder and are dry.... I was wondering.... can you wing sex Cuckoo Maran? I was looking at the 2 chicks and on one of them, their pin feathers on their wings were shorter than some. And on the other they were all even.

Thanks for Any help!
    Joy

2. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    anyone?

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I don't know about that, but since they're barred (or cuckoo'ed?) aren't you able to guess gender by the mark on their heads or is that only in BR?
    Best wishes to your new little crew!

4. morninggloryhatchery

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Thanks! Well i contacted the lady who had the eggs and it turns out that i have a White Maran! So i was happy with that. So far i have 1 White Maran, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 1 Feather legged Cuckoo Maran. There is another that was pipped so i hope it will hatch. out of 13 eggs. I was expecting a hatch rate of around 7 or 8 but i guess not. Hopefully there is just a hen in the clutch:rolleyes:

5. tina holmberg

tina holmberg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    I don't know, if you can sex them by the wings.
    But when cuckoo maran hatch, the boys have one white headspot, and the girls have two white headspots.
    When they start to feather, the girl will be darker than the boy.

6. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Quote:LOL wish I had known that 3 weeks ago. I have 16 that are four weeks old and it is hard to tell on some.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I love my Cuckoo Marans. My rooster is the sweetest. He is so good to his girls, and never so much as messes up a feather on them! I have read that it is very common for them to be so good natured, calm, and overall enjoyable! Hope you have the same experience I have!

By the way, I just hatched a dozen, and the females have one small spot on head. The males spot is more blotchy and larger. The males are lighter than the females.

8. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Yes you can, and I have seen a picture. I have been looking for it for you, and now can not find it. I will keep looking. Anyway, the male is lighter colored in the wings, as well as more light color on the head at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by