Cuckoo Marans

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I am considering getting some cuckoo marans in the spring but I've heard that they don't do well in the cold. I live in Eastern Idaho and the winter temps will fall below zero at times. Any opinions on this?

I apologize that this is in the "feeding time" section. I'm still learning how to use this site. I don't know how to move it so I will re-post in Breeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got them and mine have done ok in the cold. My only concern with them and the cold is that they've got large combs and I worry about frostbite sometimes. I live in Kansas and we can get to zero or below too. I've had my oldest ones for 5 years.

I have French Cuckoo Marans, so far so good. They SHOULD put their heads under their wing but sometimes the tips of their combs are too long and they do get frost bite. Which is a good reason for a coop. I have mine in a coop and wen the wind blows I make the wilderones go inside and I make sure they can't get out until the morning.

Love my Marans and you can check my siggy link for egg prices...

Arklady

Quote:
I am lucky because I have a coop w/ some extra room. (It's 8 x 23) Right now all the chickens are confined for the winter until it's fit to work outside again and I can build a suitable run. It's still cold in the coop though, but not windy like it would be outside.

I have some crappy hatchery marans they are out in the chicken tractor rain or shine they are still young so there combs have not come in yet
I want to get good french marans in the spring if I have a bator or I can get a pullet or two

Henry

Back
Top Bottom