Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buster, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I am considering getting some cuckoo marans in the spring but I've heard that they don't do well in the cold. I live in Eastern Idaho and the winter temps will fall below zero at times. Any opinions on this?

I apologize that this is in the "feeding time" section. I'm still learning how to use this site. I don't know how to move it so I will re-post in Breeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got them and mine have done ok in the cold. My only concern with them and the cold is that they've got large combs and I worry about frostbite sometimes. I live in Kansas and we can get to zero or below too. I've had my oldest ones for 5 years.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Thanks- I have a salmon faverolles roo and he has a touch of frostbite on his comb. DW and I really want some maran eggs. What a neat color!

4. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I have French Cuckoo Marans, so far so good. They SHOULD put their heads under their wing but sometimes the tips of their combs are too long and they do get frost bite. Which is a good reason for a coop. I have mine in a coop and wen the wind blows I make the wilderones go inside and I make sure they can't get out until the morning.

Love my Marans and you can check my siggy link for egg prices...

Arklady

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I am lucky because I have a coop w/ some extra room. (It's 8 x 23) Right now all the chickens are confined for the winter until it's fit to work outside again and I can build a suitable run. It's still cold in the coop though, but not windy like it would be outside.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have some crappy hatchery marans they are out in the chicken tractor rain or shine they are still young so there combs have not come in yet
    I want to get good french marans in the spring if I have a bator or I can get a pullet or two

Henry

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Hey be nice about those hatchery marans!!

8. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have good french marans and they do just fine in the winter here in BC.

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    hey I didnt say I didnt like them just said they arnt realy nice marans. hey are my favortite hens that I have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by