Cuckoo Marans....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by theOEGBman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Hello,

How well do your Cuckoo Marans lay?? I got mine on the 23rd. She layed an egg on the 24th and 25th and I havent gotten one since! She isnt a year old yet. I know she has to settle in, but it stinks to not get a nice dark egg,lol. So my question is, how well do yours lay? Feel free to post pics of the birds/eggs. I'd love to see them!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

To be honest as much as I love my marans, they are not my best layers. I've found that after their first year they like to go broody alot. I love their temprement tho and their dark eggs.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    It took mine awhile to kick in,but now they are laying full force. For the past 2 weeks, They have been laying at over 80% and I had 100% on one day. I usually have a couple go broody,they are excellant mothers. Normally they lay at close to 50% throught the Winter,but this past Winter,no one did as they usually do.

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Thanks, Katy and Gina!

I know they arent the best layers, so I wasnt expecting much, but I did expect more than one egg a week,lol. Its actually been a week and no eggs! She's very sweet and lays nice dark eggs when she does lay. Im taking eggs to my grandpa this Thursday and I only see him once a month, so I want to take him a dark one! Its good and not good to hear they are good broodies. I always love broodies, but I dont need more babies,lol. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by