cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nwoods01, Jul 16, 2011.

1. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens, almost a year under my belt now. I added 2 new cuckoo marans to my flock, they are about 8 wks old and w/other chicks same age, which are all seperate from the adult flock. I have noticed the 2 marans have what seems to be odd looking eyes, sometimes almost look swollen, not sure if this is normal for this breed. I just know they look different from other breeds, and 1 of them sneezes alot, no discharge from beak or nostrils. Not sure whats going on.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Hmmm they could have Mareks disease or some sort of respiratory disorder going on. Do you know if they were vaccinated against Marek's?
    Do they any have bubbles in thier eyes or do the eyes look whitish? Exotic New Castle's Disease also has symptoms of sneezing and swollen tissue around the eyes but is pretty rare.

You could probably get a more accurate diagnosis or ideas if you can post this on the Emergency section and please do add some photos of thier eyes if you can. List when the symptoms started and if there are any other things going on like paralysis of the legs, loss of appetite, etc.

Welcome to BYC!!!

3. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks for the help.

4. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Looks like coryza,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by