cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwoods01, Jul 16, 2011.

1. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens, almost a year under my belt now. I added 2 new cuckoo marans to my flock, they are about 8 wks old and w/other chicks same age, which are all seperate from the adult flock. I have noticed the 2 marans have what seems to be odd looking eyes, sometimes almost look swollen, not sure if this is normal for this breed. I just know they look different from other breeds, and 1 of them sneezes alot, no discharge from beak or nostrils. Not sure whats going on. The 2 birds in question eat and drink(or spill)all that you put in front of them. They don't drink as much but they eat non stop.I don't see any other sx's, that I can tell. I uploaded pics of the 2 birds, not sure if I did it right.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You won't be able to post pics till you have about 5 posts under your belt. You can go to the "new member intros" and welcome them and get 5 quick posts. When you have enough, go to that top blue bar and click on the "uploads". Then browse your pics and click on "submit". Then "copy" the lower address under the pic, the IMG address and "paste" to this post.

I do not know anything about Marans, however maybe someone else can help you here.

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have no experience at all with this breed, but the standard for this breed does say "prominent eyes": "Head: Refined, Beak deep and of medium size. Eyes large and prominent; pupils large and defined. Comb single, medium size, straight, erect, with five to seven serrations, and of fine texture. Face smooth. Wattles of medium size and fine texture."

So... maybe, normal for them???

[​IMG]

4. nwoods01

Jul 16, 2011
    thanks for the input, I thought it might be normal but the sneeze made me wonder.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. nwoods01

Jul 16, 2011
    Here are the pics of the 2 in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by