cuckoo marans

chewy1981

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
I have a Cuckoo Maran who is approx 22 weeks but still hasn't started laying, is this quite common? We also have a pekin Partridge Bantam, Gold Laced Cochin and a White Sikie. just recently lost our other pekin so theres a bit of a pecking order re shuffle going on as she was boss, wasn't sure if this might affect the egg laying and also the time of year/weather living in sunny old england

Some hens just take longer than others. Marans aren't any slower than most other breeds, especially Cuckoo Marans.

I have two Cuckoo Marans who are 22 weeks, and they also have not started laying. I did read somewhere that larger breeds take a bit longer to mature, so I am really not expecting anything for a couple of more weeks, but I am not very patient either. I want those beautiful eggs!!!!

My Cuckoo Marans were a little over 19 weeks when they started laying...good luck!!!
ya.gif

I am amazed at how differently the chickens mature. All of our girls are 22 weeks, but they are in such varying stages of maturity, even within the same breed. We have four different breeds (see the signature line below), and only one of the Golden Comets has started laying. She started at 18 1/2 weeks, and I thought for sure at least one other chicken would be laying by now. But no. Annabelle is doing all the work. This morning, I told the others to stop free-loading.

Quote:
This morning when our one layer went in the coop to lay, Agnes (Cuckoo Maran) followed her in and sat in one of the other nest boxes. Hopefully this practice today will produce an egg tomorrow!

We've noticed over the last couple of days our maran has started to lay in the nesting box she hasn't layed an egg yet but also stands in the door way and pulls thier bedding outside piece by piece and then sits on it. Is this normal behaviour for a chicken who is coming upto pol?

Ours are 23 weeks today. Still no egg from either of them, but they have both investigated the nest boxes. I do think the "practice" is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom