Cuckoo Marans

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by cheepchicks, May 18, 2007.

1. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Ok...so I am going to give up my Marans. I would love to trade for Faverolles (sp)? Here is a picture of one of the Marans I have in this picture she is 8 weeks old...I have one more hen and a rooster. today they are 10 weeks old.

[​IMG]

PS they have had both types of shots

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Ohhh, I Love them....but all I have to trade is Buff Orps. They are very sweet, and about 10 weeks old as well. I have hens and 2 roos.....I wouldnt mind tradeing roo for roo, hen for hen. How far are you from Jennings county? SE of Indy.

3. tiffwilhelm

tiffwilhelm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    I have a Maran that looks just like that. She's about 9 weeks old. We call her Shortstock (my son named her). She's a real bully. I thought she was a rooster at first. I think she might just be a tough chick! What's the difference between a cuckoo maran and a maran?

4. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Newby here...please tell me what a maran is????

5. tiffwilhelm

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    Of course I'm a bit new to this too. But a Maran is a breed of chicken. It looks like the picture above. The place where I bought my chick told me they can sex the chicks by their coloring. Apparently the roosters at this ranch will have white legs and feet and will feather out to be more white gray. The hens will have some black on their feet and will appear more black gray. Their eggs are apparently very dark brown.

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

"Cuckoo" is the black & white barred coloring. Marans are a breed of chicken that was developed in France (where the standard has feathered legs, in the US they don't). They are know primarily for their dark "chocolate" colored eggs and are a very good dual-purpose birds. At hatch (and at full feathering) the coloring of the sexes is different -males are lighter and females are darker. It is relative to each hatch though, looking at the pic here I thought it was a roo since my pullets are very dark in comparison. [​IMG]

At 11 weeks my Cuckoo Marans are the largest birds, and are very quiet at rather docile. I really like this breed and recommend them!

7. tiffwilhelm

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    Here's a picture of Shortstock. I guess she's a Cuckoo too and I didn't even know it! (Buffy, my B.O. can be seen right beside her).

[​IMG]

8. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Have a nice trio of Bantam salmon faverolles... Would trade straight across, you ship yours, I'll ship mine. Let me know. Melissa

9. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I would be more than willing to make the trade. I wonder if you have pictures of yours? Shipping shouldn't be a problem as I can't really travel anyway. My horse ran over the top of me and broken ribs and travel just don't really mix too well. Sorry about the delayed reply...I work alot !

Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by