1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

cuckoo marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rypie13, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    Hey, we are here in Utah and we wanted to know if the Cuckoo Marans will be o.k. in our winters. We have a fully insulated coop with heat. Also, if you have this breed I have read that they lay about every 2-3 days, is that accurate?
    Thanks for any help-- We love this site, they are right it is a little addicting

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    not great layers, yeah, but they do produce, s that's about right.

And I believe they'd be fine for your winters- it gets cold in northern france too, their native land,, and they've been fine here in New England. On the other hand we consider it cold here when it's ten or twenty degrees, and though it dips down below zero at night it rarely stays there. Does it stay below twenty or so much of the time there?

3. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    I was looking at them too and they are beautiful!! We get to -40c here. How do you think they would do in a insulated, heated coop?

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I've got some eggs in the bator from a local gal. Our winters here in central NY can be -20 degrees F and she has cuckoos. I really don't think she heats her coop either.

5. freerange freaks

freerange freaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you want them for their egg colour? 'Cause if you don't care about that and you just want a cold harty bird with the barred plumage why don't you look at the Dominique?

6. rypie13

rypie13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies. We get in the teens a lot. It is pretty cold during the winter and this very strange spring we've had. We were looking at the cuckoo because of the feather coloring and the egg color, I hate to say it but a small part has to do with the name! We would just like to add a few to our little flock which is growing by the week! (we are adding some cornish x in July - of course they won't be staying all that long)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    They will be fine. They're hardy birds.

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I have french cuckoo marans and they lay every day. I don't know about the cold hardiness because I'm from the south.

jackie

9. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    I would like them for both the barred color and the wonderful egg color! Wow, those are some gorgeous eggs. Not sure if anyone near me has them. We are in northern Alberta, Canada.

10. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I'm in SWTn and I have cuckoo marans. We don't get harsh Winter weather,but it frequently will get in the teens and colder for several days on end and is quite damp. Mine do fine. I have shelter for them so they can get out of the bitter wind. Mine are good layers,too,when they are not broody,lol.Before they got the urge to be mamas this year,they laid at about 80% and once for 3 weeks straight,everyone laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by