cuckoo plus wheaten maran.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazyhen, Aug 9, 2010.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    What will I get in the way of chicks? Will I be able to tell males from females? What will they look like? There was a cuckoo and a wheaten male in the pen. The eggs were given to me and I love the color. thanks gloria Jean

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are all the hens wheaten?

Cuckoo X wheaten should give you cuckoo.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The hens are cuckoo and the roos are one cuckoo and one wheaten. Thanks Gloria Jean

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Seems like you'll get alot of cuckoo. Not sure on the wheaten crossing though.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If all the hens were Cuckoo, then you would get pure Cuckoos from the Cuckoo roo and Black Sexlinks from the Wheaten roo. The roos will be cuckoo like the pure cuckoos but maybe with some gold leakage and the hens would be solid black again with possible gold leakage.

6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    You will get Blk pullets and Blk barred cocks if you breed the cocks back to a Wheaton hen you would get brown pullets that would be culled, barred brown pullets that you would cross back to the brown barred cocks you would also get blacks and black barred cocks that you would cull from breeding the brown barred ones together. Then you would have Golden Cuckoos with leg bars that you would keep and unbarred ones or ones without leg bars would be culls......quite the project

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by