1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Silkies by accident. YAY!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FlightsofFancy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    I bred my Calico Silkie rooster (pictured) who has some barring on his tail and wings, to a pure Buff and got some broken black and white cuckooish looking chicks. Tell me what you think and what might happen if I breed them back to each other. Can I improve on the barring and how?

Rooster
    [​IMG]

Chicks
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The chicks look Grey to me.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I believe what you're seeing is pencilling, not barring. Sorry. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Here are my 2 grey pullets.

[​IMG]

5. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Quote:EWWW! I knew I wasn't that lucky. haha! [​IMG] Can someone explain penciling and barring?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barring is when the feather is actually barred, stripes that run from edge to edge without curving. They have their own gene, B/- or B/b+

Pencilling is when black will lace the inner, outer, or both on the feather. It will appear curved in the shape of the feather. Pencilling is often from crossing colors relative to Partridge, Columbian (I think) BBR, Duckwing, and so on.

7. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    side view
    [​IMG]

Wing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. FlightsofFancy

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    So on the pictures I just posted....Would you say we have a gray/black wing with white penciling? Just trying to understand.....

9. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I think that now that you posted the wing picture they might take back the penciling, looks barred to me on the Wing feathers, look like gray/cuckoo

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The wings do look barred, the rest of the bird not so much. I'd say try and keep working on the Silkies with the most barred feathers. . . That or get yourself some Cuckoos to improve your current birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by