Cuddle-a-holic with chickies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil Chickie Mama, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Okay so I've read that you aren't supposed to mess with your chicks too much and shouldn't cuddle them too much, but 1) How do you resist? 2) How much is too much? (I'm talking timewise here people, minutes, hours, at a time/through out the day...) 3) How much is acceptable? 4) How do you resist?! I'm thinking I may need to get about 500,000 chicks just to spread the love around without over-loving any chickie. Hope I'm wrong!

2. Chew593

Chew593 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like you need more chickens... I cuddle mine too! Now that they're out in the run they're a little harder to catch, but between me and my boys we love em up as much as we can.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    [​IMG] I don't resist. I am typing one-handed because my little 6 week old BR is cuddled in my arms sleeping. I cuddle all my chicks (and kiss them) daily. Do the same for my older girls. They are my pets and I love them as such [​IMG] I really don't care if people think it's acceptable or healthy. There are worse things in life lol.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Okay, well 6 weeks I think could take it, but I'm really concerned with the younger ones. What about the babies? What do you do when you get day (3 day really) olds? I don't want to stress their little bitty systems, but fuzziebutts are soooo adowabewl! [​IMG] I can't wait till my babies get here! I just want to know how to take care of them properly.

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I cuddle mine from the minute I get them. They love it. Of course there are always a few who would rather run around crazily instead of being loved, but they get some anyway lol. Never heard of a chick being loved too much.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just read below my name [​IMG] It says it all. I usually can't go 5 minutes without picking up and chick or chicken. Their just so lovable.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    as long as they have time to eat and drink and be warm I dont think there is a limit to holding them. That was probably written by some staunch PhD.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:There certainly is! Keep cuddling and kissing those babies, I know I do! [​IMG]

9. Lil Chickie Mama

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Tee hee hee, can't wait! I get the babies Saturday!

10. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    Do not resist!!! I got my first chicks as 3 day olds from the feed store, and cuddled them from day one on! When they were little I would only take them out for 10 at a time, but now that they are 2 weeks sometimes they come out for as long as 20. It would be longer if I had less homework!!!

The only reason I put mine back EVER is because they probably need to drink [​IMG] The little ones are happy to sleep in your hands as long as they are warm! I stick my hands under their heat lamp for a while first. Added bonus to holding them from the day you get them-mine now LOVE to be held. You stick your arm in and they mob it. Some with jump right onto it and try and settle down to roost. [​IMG]

They weren't too crazy about being held at first, but I forced my love on them anyway, and as long as I held them securely in warm hands, they settled down in less than 30 seconds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by