Cuddles is trouble

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pinkaboo, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    My lovely sweet little maran cockerel cuddles is causing chaos, he always seems to be the ring leader of any trouble. Now he's trying to mate( succeeding actually) with my little pekin hen and her pekin cockerel isn't best pleased either
    If I can get to cuddles in time he gets a smack bum and stops, but I can't be there all the time, he has three maran hens to mate with and he's only four months so shouldn't even be thinking about it!
    I know its animal behaviour but its not fair on the pekin so how do I stop him?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Is it possible to get more hens for him? Wow, you are the first person on this forum (that I know of) that has a Pekin that's NOT a duck Pekin!

3. Sounds like he needs more ladies. Watch out so he doesn't hurt the Peking.

Wish ya the best.

4. Pinkaboo

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Oh yes that could be confusing! Now I'd be really worried if he was trying to mate with a duck
    [​IMG]

5. Pinkaboo

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    I have 3 maran roos and 3 hens
    Then my 3 Pekins 2 hens 1 roo
    When the Pekins mate they are fine

Cuddles is the only maran roo trying to mate and he's pulling the back feathers while mating
    The pekin roo doesn't do this

I'm hoping eventually to have 1 maran roo and 8 hens
    And I can't see cuddles being the roo!

6. Hopefully cuddles will get a little softer with the hens and most young cockerels do better with time. As do the pullets. Hens tend to be the ones who make things smoother when it comes to the mating rituals.,

Yes I originally thought you had a duck. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by