Cuddling my chicks: Is it caring or cruel?

Holding my chicks is...

• Alright to do

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Shouldn't be done

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ellie's Flock

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
Everyday I pick up my now 4 week old chicks and cuddle them, but I don't know if I should be. At first they were supposed to be livestock but now they are more like pet livestock. It was my first group of chicks I'd had to have in a brooder (all my others were old enough to live in the coop when I got them) so I guess I got attached, and wanted to hold them. Is it hurting them?

Lots of people handle their chicks. Some say that's the best way to get them to allow handling as adults and it's very common for birds intended to be shown to be handled extensively.

As long as you're gentle, no biggie.

Alright, thank you.

Everyday I pick up my now 4 week old chicks and cuddle them, but I don't know if I should be. At first they were supposed to be livestock but now they are more like pet livestock. It was my first group of chicks I'd had to have in a brooder (all my others were old enough to live in the coop when I got them) so I guess I got attached, and wanted to hold them. Is it hurting them?

To each his own! If they are used to it then they should be fine as long as your fine having them poop on you. I don’t name my chickens or I cuddle with them but they get treated royalty in their coop and their run. I got a couple of Speckled Sussex, Welsumer and EEs that come and on my lap or shoulder when I go to the coop and wanted a cheek rub like a dog and will peck my legs if I don’t pick them up. I normally give them a quick pet and off they go happy as a clam.:celebrate

To each his own! If they are used to it then they should be fine as long as your fine having them poop on you. I don’t name my chickens or I cuddle with them but they get treated royalty in their coop and their run. I got a couple of Speckled Sussex, Welsumer and EEs that come and on my lap or shoulder when I go to the coop and wanted a cheek rub like a dog and will peck my legs if I don’t pick them up. I normally give them a quick pet and off they go happy as a clam.:celebrate
Aww thats nice! I was not planning to hold them, but I got a bit attached haha!

Back
Top Bottom