Cuddling

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LOVEIGEE, Nov 1, 2011.

1. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't really know how to ask this, but is there anything safe I can put in brooder for the chicks to cuddle up to. Kind of like a mother hen?

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My chicks usually cuddle each other - but you could put a stuff fuzzy doll or a feather duster in there.

3. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks bobbieschick......they are cuddling each other....I just got them today.......I know it's stupid, but I feel so bad they will never know what it would feel like to have a mother hen.......I have stuffed animals.....I'll try to find one safe for them to get up under and cuddle......Sorry....I know it's stupid.....

4. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Don't be afraid of asking any question. I'm new to chickens, and I have ask all kinds of questions. Everyone here was "new" at one time. Enjoy your new additions..

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    It's not stupid! I didn't know they cuddle each other until I had my first clutch. They are so cute at night they'll stretch out and look like they are dead - it's so funny to watch. Here are my eight at 2 week old in their brooder.

[​IMG]

6. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Yeah, mostly each other. If you do add anything else, make sure it's CLEAN! [​IMG]

7. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    I love ya'll so much.......this is the greatest website ever! No question to stupid.....

8. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It isn't stupid at all, especially once you've seen a Mama with her babies -- clucking about the good food she's found, standing up to bigger girls, covering them with her wings on a roost... the dearest thing ever,

However, in lieu of a real mama it is good for them to bond to one another -- reduces later problems in the coop.

Congratulations on your lovely new chicks. What did you get?

Jenny

9. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Cute babies.... I like your avatar pic of the SIlver Laced I want to get some of those next. Are they nice and calmi

10. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    I got 1-buff, 1-dominique, and 2-new hampshires......to add to flock......and yes.....my wyandottes are very sweet and beautiful! You will love them. Thank you for all your answers....I swear if I could I'd pack my big butt in the brooder and cuddle up with them.....must be a girl thing.........Love ya'll

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by