Cuddly baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mollycat79, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Is it common for baby chicks to get attached to human/human interaction? My 2 newest babies cry out for us and quieter down when they see us. Then chirp happily when settled on us.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. mollycat79

Nov 23, 2012
    They love being near us at the moment. My 2 newest fell asleep on my shoulder last night. [​IMG]

3. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

its very common

4. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    thats so cute! my chickies have a chicken momma so they only really like me when i give them treats! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. mollycat79

Nov 23, 2012
    They call out for us when we leave them. I love the contented chirp they give when they are sitting happy with us.

6. sniemeyer

sniemeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    i'd say it's a good thing!! chicks get less social with age, but the more they are interacted with when young the easier they will be to handle when they get old

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    That's so cute! as PP said good interaction will be beneficial later on.

8. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    I had two sex-link chicks that wouldn't go to sleep at night unless they put their heads on my tummy (the two in my avatar image). I guess it sounded a lot like the underside of a chook lol.

They never really grew out of wanting to be near us even after one passed away and I increased the flock and reducing the human interaction. Ruby still loves to hang out at my feet whenever she can.

9. mollycat79

Nov 23, 2012
    Yeah my 2 black chicks love sitting on my lap at night and call out for us when we are out of sight. Might sneak them inside lol once they are bigger and outside in chook shed

10. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    lol, It's hard to leave them when they are calling out for you isn't it [​IMG] I would always cave and go put them on my lap, the husband would just shake his head lol

A year later one of mine passed away and it was lucky I had bonded to them as the sole remaining chick was distraught at loosing her only friend, my company was the only thing that would console her. I never knew until then that a chicken could cry with a gut retching sob like a human!

They constantly amaze me even after having chooks all my life, they fill me with happiness :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by