Cull droopy looking chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ObamaBrahma, May 15, 2011.

1. ObamaBrahma

ObamaBrahma Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand spanking new to this chicken-rearing thing. My wife and I picked up a batch of new (1-day old) chicks 3 days ago. They all look good, except one droopy looking one. It's head is usually droopy, it seems to fall asleep on his feet a lot, rarely opens its eyes, typically is off on its own and is slow to react when I come in to change the water and food.

Should I cull him? I'm using Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens (Gail Damerow) and this seems to be the description of a chick that 'isn't feeling well'. I don't want the rest of the chicks to get sick, but I don't want to cull too early.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    You could seperate him from the others. But that sort of sounds like normal chick behavior, they fall asleep alot at that age, mine did, i don't know. He sounds ok to me. If he starts sneezing or having mucus, i would seperate him, but sounds just like it might be a loner...?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe add poltvisol vitamins without iron. They are infant vitamins and work very well. I could not cull a chick unless it was in absolute pain. My SS chick almost died with an upper respiratory infection and we couldn't cull her. I'm so glad we kept her alive, she is very sweet and loving to us and her chick mates.

4. ObamaBrahma

ObamaBrahma Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

I have separated the chick from the rest of the flock. I'm feeding it water with some sugar in it. It seems to help, but the little one still doesn't really open its' eyes and isn't moving around like the others. None of the stores are open today, so I can't get any poltvisol, but I will try tomorrow.

I'm going to try a mash in a little while to see if it will eat.

I did check the vent for pasting, but it was clear. There was some caked on droppings, but well below the vent. I cleared it off just in case.

Just to be clear, I don't want to cull the little one. I just didn't want the rest of the flock to get sick too. The rest are fairly active and looking healthy, so hopefully I can nurse this one back to health and put it back in with its' friends.

Thanks for the help. Perusing some of the other posts helped a lot as well. This is a great little resource!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    If it is peeping loudly from being alone, you can put a mirror in there to mimmick another chick. Although, it sounds like yours is feeling really bad. I'm really sorry. I hope your chick is just very sleepy and sleeps more then the others. I've had that happen to a couple of my chicks. Good luck.

6. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I had one like this, sleepy, droopy and got pecked a lot. I didnt separate her but I did give her Pedialyte (electrolytes) and polivisol. I fed it to her with a dropper every few hours since she wouldnt drink on her own. She ate ok so I didnt do anything with that. It took about 3 days, now she is great! She is three weeks old and just like everyone else. I thought she might be dumb or have poor eyesight, turns out she was just really dehydrated! I would work at it. With all the special attention, she will be a sweet little chick!

Good luck to you!!

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  7. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    are her wings hanging down too? Make sure she knows where the water is. Dip her beak in it. And try the electrolyte (Sav-a-Chick) stuff.

8. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    ginger c. :

are her wings hanging down too? Make sure she knows where the water is. Dip her beak in it. And try the electrolyte (Sav-a-Chick) stuff.

thanks for the advice. This was almost two weeks ago, she is just fine now! Doing great! [​IMG]

9. MydearWatson

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    Double post. [​IMG]

10. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:thanks for the advice. This was almost two weeks ago, she is just fine now! Doing great! [​IMG]

oops. didn't mean to quote you. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by