CULL or KEEP????????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaurenLauren2007, Dec 23, 2011.

1. LaurenLauren2007

LaurenLauren2007 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] We are new to chickens and recently made the mistake of assuming "males for warmth" meant a couple, not 10. Beginners mistake. So we are now overrun with New Hampshire roos that will inevitably become dinner. I was thinking about keeping two at most.
    My questions are:

Is this a good breed of roo?
    But, more importantly .... there is one that is way bigger than the rest that is very protective of the girls. He puts himself between me and them and bites the tar out of me! All of my girls are tame, loving and come running to be held so its not like I'm patronizing them. He just honestly hates me petting and holding them. They will free range when they grow up a little so I'm wondering if an over protective roo would be a good thing, or should he be the first on the chopping block? *****By the way he is only 8 weeks old, has drawn blood and is very persistent.

2. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    cull him. no need to make things harder for yourself in your first year of chicken keeping [​IMG]:

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    He would be the first one in my pot [​IMG] Do not keep an aggressive rooster, esp. when you have 10 to choose from. But, you might give him a little time to see how he is going to be. He is a little young right now, and may just be scared.

4. LaurenLauren2007

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    After the third time he brought blood i thought about wringing his little neck right then and there, but I figured I'd wait and get some opinions first. At what age do you usually cull? I heard older roos can be a little tough? Also, is this a good breed? Any personal experiences?

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    If i was you i would pick two to keep that both got on well, dont keep agressive roosters you will regret it because it will only get worse

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, get rid of him. How many hens do you have? A good ratio is (roughly) 1/10 roos to hens. Why do you want to keep a rooster? For fertile eggs? Because you like the idea? I'm just asking because a rooster is NOT necessary for protection or to show them where and how to eat. The hens do figure it out when they have to. Now, if one of those roosters turns out to be nice and gentle, I'd keep him. I like having a rooster around if he's nice.

7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:yea, you don't want to breed him and get more mean rosters.

I don't know much about that breed,never had one so I can't help you there.
    but I have had some mean ones, and they are gone now.

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:I keep hearing this, and then from others, hearing that this ratio is only meant to be used when discussing fertility. Which is it?

9. LaurenLauren2007

Nov 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:yea, you don't want to breed him and get more mean rosters.

I don't know much about that breed,never had one so I can't help you there.
    but I have had some mean ones, and they are gone now.

"Gone now" [​IMG] I guess by unanimous vote he will probably be joining them when he's old enough.

10. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I made the same mistake and ended up with 9 roos. I would send them to freezer camp as soon as they start crowing. If you wait too long they will not be as tasty. I kept one roo because he was sweet. He is 10 months old now and the perfect roo. If you are going to keep one roo, pick a friendly roo. It will make your life easier. Roosters are more of a decoy than actual fighters. I think my "packing peanuts" were Rhode Island Reds, but either way, RIR or New Hampshire, neither are breed for meat. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by