cull or treat/?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Nov 14, 2010.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I bought four chickens this last week. They were delivered to me by a friend. One is 3 months old, two are 4-5 months old and one is a year old. I DID quarantine all of them. Friday, Shortly after I recieved them(same day) I noticed the 3 month old had very sticky eyes that were swollen shut. They all were pooping bloody poops. I fed them and the poop became normal again shortly after. The following day, Saturday, one of the 4 month old ones had a sticky eye. I cleaned the eyes out of the two and they were put on medicine (Oxytetracycline). I had to clean the eyes of the little one about 5 times that day. This morning, the other 4 month old is shaking its head. Now I see they are all shaking their heads and the two have very swollen faces. The smallest one has bloody poop again today.

I am wondering if it is best to cull all the birds?

I have a flock that I do not want infected with any diseases.

Anyone have an idea as to what it is? I do/maybe.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thankfully you quarantined them. I would cull them and tell the breeder in a nice way and leave it at that. I would decontaminate everything they were in contact with. Just dont do business with the individual(s) again.

3. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I think I would take them back.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thank You dawg53 And I believe that is exactly what I will do(cull). I have 50 lovely chickens in my coop that I need to protect.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    kooltex also good idea, however it is a 6 hour drive one way

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Man what a bummer. I would let the breeder know.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    First, I'd take lots of pictures of said birds, and include audio and video if you can to catch the full glory of how ill these birds are. Then I'd be contacting the breeders and having them explain themselves. I'd tell the breeders to return my money and come get the infected birds. Or I'd drop the infected birds on their doorstep and demand my money back. If they refuse to return your money you can file a small claims court case using all the photographic proof you have, and get your money returned that way.

I would not cull these birds. It shouldn't be your responsibility to cull birds that were sold to you when the breeder had to know they were ill. Let the breeders deal with their own mess.

Thank goodness you quarantined these birds. Keep up the great biosecurity until you have them gone from your home. Good luck.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yes I will be taking pictures. I am sure glad I quarantined too!!!!

9. kooltex

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    Shame on the breeder that would sell sick birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by