Cull, or wait?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UrbanChickensUT, Sep 9, 2012.

  1. UrbanChickensUT

    UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

    75
    0
    29
    Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    I wanted to get some advice. I started with 4 hens (buff orpington, barred rock, golden comet and an easter egger) one month ago. I decided to add two more yesterday. The same local breeder that I purchased the original 4 from had two that were the same age as the others so I thought it would be perfect. I brought them home and added them to the flock and the original 4 immediately began to peck at the two new blue wyandottes. They were in the same run for a couple of hours and I then created a plywood divider so the new birds could be left alone. As the day went on I noticed that one of the new birds had yellow discharge from her nostrils and had raspy breathing. This indicated to me that she has a respiratory disease. Kind of frustrating since I just bought her! I now have the two new birds on 1/2 tsp of duramycin 10 per 1 qt of water. Is it worth keeping the new birds as I heard they are carries of this disease for life? This was a foolish mistake as I now see that I should have waited one month to introduce. Also, should I treat the other 4 with Duramycin as a precaution?

    Below is a pic so you can see how they are separated. The new hens are on the left hand end of the run. Any suggestions or advice would be warmly welcomed. Thanks so much!


    [​IMG]
     
  2. sourland

    sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

    63,837
    9,546
    766
    May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would treat all birds. At this point culling one of the new birds would accomplish nothing. All of your birds have already been exposed to whatever it is that she has. Hopefully they will respond to your treatment.
     
  3. UrbanChickensUT

    UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

    75
    0
    29
    Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Perfect...I'll do just that. Is duramycin 10 a good choice or should I try and find something else? Thanks for the advice.
     
  4. UrbanChickensUT

    UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

    75
    0
    29
    Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    The breeder that sold the sick hen said I can exchange it for another bird. Would it be worth it at this point?
     
  5. TurtlePowerTrav

    TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

    3,382
    118
    208
    Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I would follow sourland's advice. They have been exposed and bringing another new bird in will add more stress. I would wait to see if the sick one pulls though before replacing her.
     
  6. UrbanChickensUT

    UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

    75
    0
    29
    Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    The breeder let me return the two birds and gave me a refund. Do I need to clean the section of the run where the two birds were isolated or should I just remove the plywood and let the hens freely roam?
     
  7. UrbanChickensUT

    UrbanChickensUT Out Of The Brooder

    75
    0
    29
    Aug 3, 2012
    Utah
    Also, if I use a 50/50 mix of bleach and water and then rake the grass and dirt, will this be enough?
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by