Culled a 9 month Rooster, and it's Tough!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NinnyGillaspie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    I have had this thing in the crock pot for 12 hours, and it's still tough as a boot! Help! Was he too old? So big that I couldn't fit him in the pot until I cut the legs off. Maybe too big? Heck I don't know.

2. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    These birds will be a little tougher then broilers you butcher at 6 weeks or so but shouldnt be that tough. There are different theories of what to do after you butcher the bird from laying them out for 12 hours before freezing or more. I dont find a difference if i leave mine out or not. I put them in the freezer soon as they cool down a little. Some people swear by the way the butcher them effecting the meat for me its hard to say im sure you will get a few different opnions as to why it was tough now. I do know if you cook a bird right away not matter what its age without freezing it it will be tough i culled a few awhile back about 3 lbs put them in the oven the next day and they were tough as leather.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I don't know if freezing the bird is necessary, but I've read that you should let the meat "rest" for at least 48 hours before trying to cook it.

Someone else will know why this makes the bird more tender.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Letting it rest is important. If you cook a bird while it is still in rigor mortis, the meat will be tough. I let my chickens sit at least 48hrs before cooking them. The turkey we had this year was processed on Monday and cooked on Thursday and the leg meat was still a little tough because they hadn't fully relaxed from rigor yet.

5. NinnyGillaspie

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Thanks Yall, I have now deboned what I could, sliced it up, or tore it up, and put it back in the crock pot with the onions and parsley. It's on low and we shall see in the morning if the meat is tender enough to make enchiladas, soup, or whatever. I'll blog in the morning.

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    I will bet he will be tender and delicious.... Rigor mortise is easily rendered irrelevant by hours or simmering... i actually like flesh that has a firmer texture ti it, so those who hate "firm" meat might not want to accept an invitation to my feasts... but they are yumy... OH... and I made my first cranberry liqueur this week... looked bad tasted awesome.... .............................................................................[​IMG]

7. NinnyGillaspie

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    I would love to taste your liquer. I'll trade you bread and butter pickles from Texas.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I butchered and ate one of my cornish x the same day, and it was a bit chewy even though it was stewed. Then next, I butchered, then rested 24 hours. Was ok, but not as tender as I expected. Last ones, I rested three whole days, and they were very tender. So I'm convinced. All mine are going to rest 2-3 days before freezing or anything from here out.

9. NinnyGillaspie

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    thanks yall! Next time we are gonna let it rest for a couple days.

10. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We cull quite a few roosters and have found that the older they get, the longer they need to "rest".
    An older bird 6 to 9 months old, we rest for 4-5 days in the fridge.
    I have even forgot and left for a full week,
    Never had any problems with tough meat.
    Just remember, free ranged birds will always have a firmer texture.

Just my.02

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by