Culled a chicken found intestinal worms... Can I still eat him?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoog, May 15, 2010.

1. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

A Jack Russell Terrier killed her first chicken today. She never killed one before but she is in serious trouble now. Anyway I had to cull this Astrolorp rooster since he was going to die anyway.

When I was cleaning him I found long thin white worms in his intestines. I finished cleaning the bird and popped him in the oven. He is baking right now but I need to know something before I eat him.

Is it safe to eat this bird?

What are the worms and what is the best way to treat them?

Do I need to treat my dog and rabbits too or just the chickens?

Anything I can do to teach my dog not to chase the chickens?

Thanks,

Hoog

2. The Egg Bandit

The Egg Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sorry for your misfortune. My experience has been that once a dog tastes livestock, he will want more. Best you can do is keep him far away from them. I'm dealing with that same problem right now. Not fun.

ETA - I'd see if you can get a fecal done at a vet, that way you can know for sure what you are dealing with. But I'm sure some oldtimers here can help you better.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  3. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Is it safe to eat this bird? I think so, people eat wild game that has worms all the time...don't almost all of them have something in their belly?

What are the worms and what is the best way to treat them? Sound like round worms to me. Your feed supply store should have a chicken wormer, I don't know if they have a withdrawal period. I think piprezine?

Do I need to treat my dog and rabbits too or just the chickens? Yes, no, maybe so. Have a fecal done on your dog if you don't see anything in the poo right now, that's because it's spring. You can wait till the next vaccination appt if that's coming up. The rabbits are a no, unless they are range rabbits or in the grass, or you see something in their poo or they are not thrifty looking. The other chickens are a big yes. What 1 has, they all have.

Anything I can do to teach my dog not to chase the chickens? Jack's don't really do what you tell them to anyway. It's clear you can't trust this dog around your chickens and I wouldn't around the rabbits either. Your best bet is a sturdy fence and to keep it away from the animals until it can be trusted, and with little dogs, that is a longer wait and harder training than big dogs i've found.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you check 'threehorses' messages about worming. I follow her directions to the letter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by