Culled a hen found something really weird inside - pics... not to graphic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by demerson, Dec 31, 2012.

1. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    Had an old leghorn gal thats been with us so long I can't really say how old she is ( was already laying when we got her) ... at least 5 years ...
    So she showed signs of being egg bound we did all the stuff you're supposed to for it and it didn't help .... so today I culled her and decided to see exactly what egg bound looks like inside and maybe figure out why nothing we did helped.
    I cut her open and I pulled out one giant egg .... it was like the kind you find once in a while with the weird rubbery shell only I had cut through that before I realized what it was ... the pictures are of the "yolk" that was inside that ... anyone seen this before ? I haven't but I am sort of new to chickens as far as any problems ... kind of freaked me out a little hahaha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut it open and it appeared to be all one piece ..... very weird

1 person likes this.
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    :eek: That's huge. Ive never seen something that big come out of a hen.

3. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    Wow!!! That is bizarre!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    This is what came out of my hen, it weighed 500 grams. The membrane is what used to be her uterus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Wow!!

6. suebgbr

suebgbr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Bolton, England
    So what is it? I am so curious (couldn't spell intreagued). Is it a cyst?

7. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Don't know what those are but they look more like some kind of tumor. I am new enough not to have any experience (yet) with clulling old birds. Sure would like to hear from folks that have experience on this one.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm guessing that both were a form of egg yolk peritonitis. Mine was definitely an egg, maybe many that got backed up after the first one got stuck.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss, Demerson and thanks for sharing, it's how we all learn.

10. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    It was like a giant hard boiled egg yolk I cut it through the middle and it seemed to be one solid piece ....very weird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by