Culled a non-laying hen, mass in her abdomen, egg bound??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SillyMissLily, Mar 10, 2014.

1. SillyMissLily

SillyMissLily Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Colorado, western slope
    My hen of two years old hasn't been laying for about a year. She was sold as an "Americana," so was a mutt breeding to produce green eggs. It took a while to figure out which one wasn't laying, because I got several out of the same bin at the feed store. Today was the day I decided enough feeding a non-laying, however friendly bird. When I gutted her (I don't waste, eat my birds) this THING fell out of the body cavity. YIKES! Poor girl, walking around carrying this big lump of, of, what??? I cut it open and, boy, does it ever look like an egg that failed to move through. Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this before? It looks like layers and layers of stuff were just getting added to the mass. She seemed fine otherwise! She would even lay a pathetic little yolk-less egg, with a papery-thin shell every couple of months. See the crazy photos and share your input, please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking internal laying, also. Poor girl, I'm glad you but her down. See, it wasn't just financial, you were giving mercy, too!

4. SillyMissLily

SillyMissLily Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Colorado, western slope
    Wow, I didn't realize this internal laying thing could happen. None of the books talk about that! I do feel like I spared her future pain and discomfort after I saw that mass. Thanks for the link to the other thread with photos, very informative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by