Culled the roos, now an EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrkep, Oct 31, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    We had 24 Buckeyes, 25 weeks old , and 10(I thought) extra roos. so I rounded up 9 of them and sent them to freezer camp last Tuesday. The next day, the girls were a lot calmer but there were 2 roos left, a big guy and one much smaller, I guess the little one was hiding among the girls when I had the round up. So yesterday I was feeding treats and after the mob scene slowed down, there was a small egg in the run.[​IMG] I just let them out , I hope there will be another today. DW reports that some of the girls were squatting for her when she went to see them last nite.
    We are looking forward to our first fresh egg meal soon!
    mrkep

2. jadekat

jadekat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2010
    Nevada
    That's great! I traded my rooster for a hen last week. I've noticed that the 3 girls are calmer since he left. They're also laying on a more regular schedule too. We plan on getting another rooster someday but a different breed than what we had (Polish).

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Yay for your first egg! Who could think about egg laying when you spend all of your time running away from a band of randy roosters??? Hopefully there will now be peace, and your girls can get down to business with egg laying [​IMG] You might try the old "golf ball in the nest box" trick (or just a wooden egg) to show them where the "best" place to lay is...

4. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I went out to look at 10:30 and one of my girls was just getting off another egg. This egg is bigger, I hope they continue to be this size.

5. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    I suppose this means, when the boys get out of the way, the girls will get the job done:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by