1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culling a chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by orrpeople, Dec 24, 2016.

1. orrpeople

orrpeople Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    We tried. Seriously. Our poor malpositioned BCM hatchling had curled toes, so we made little feet casts for it. Things were looking better for a while, but now, it has completely thrown one leg in and can barely walk (mostly backwards, and sometimes using its wing to assist). It is about 3 weeks old, much smaller than its peers, and I just don't see it being able to live a normal chicken life (scratching, perching, jumping into the nesting box, etc.). I think the right thing to do is cull it. Guess I'm looking for backup here, and a suggested way to painlessly do this. Thanks so much!

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
  3. orrpeople

orrpeople Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    Just put the litlte one down. Very sad. But it did seem to fall asleep really quickly - only peeped a couple of times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by