Culling a chick??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicoletm24, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i hate i'm on here to askk....but how do you properly cull a chicken?
    "crip" isn't going to make it. and I don't want her suffering. shes not eating, or drinking.... and now can't move at all...

2. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    wow...thats a tough one. There's the quick way of course with a hatchet or similar means of seperating the brain stem from the body, but I can't imagine that being painless...[​IMG] I know when I was keeping high end aquarium fish and found a need to euthanize one, I would put it in the freezer in a container of water...as the water temp dropped, the fish just fell asleep, then died. I imagine it would be the same for an animal I guess...slip into hypothermia and pass quietly? Good luck either way.

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I've had to cull a couple of young chicks. It's hard but I used my biggest sharpest kitchen knife and just chopped the head off in one quick, hard chop.

4. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i couldn't cut its' head off...no way...my fiance would have to.

shes barely breathing.... [​IMG]

i'm so devistated. i hate this.

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    well, it made me cry when I had to do it but at least they don't sit there suffering. Sticking something in the freezer is not humane in my opinion. Be humane and do what makes you feel the "best" after it's over with.

6. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    i'm so very tore up about this.

the freezer way seemed easiest....i've read it's like they just fall asleep....

but, then again, who the heck really knows what hurts them and what doesnt????? ugh. [​IMG]

7. LanaBat

LanaBat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    That is AWFUL, I am so sorry! [​IMG] So many sympathies. It's NEVER easy with any animal. [​IMG] Especially when their lives have only just begun!

I can't give you any advice on home euthanasia... But I wish you well. [​IMG]

8. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    oh lord....i feel for you...good luck with whatever u decide...i hope its quick...but sooo sooo sad...so sorry [​IMG]

9. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    If you've ever been in frigid cold temperatures then you probably know how bad the cold hurts. Now imagine slowly freezing to death. For a cold blooded animal, freezing is quite different than for a warm blooded animal. I hope you find peace in whatever you decide.

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Don't put it in the freezer! How would you like to slowly freeze to death? I always hold them upside down and hit them in the head with something that has alittle weight to it. Hit them a couple of times at least to make sure there dead and not just knocked out. Chickens have such small heads, it doesn't take much. I find this the best way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by