Culling a sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cracrzy4chicks, Dec 29, 2016.

1. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Hi All, I have a sick hen. She has some type of respiratory issues. I haven't been able to clear it up. So I've decided to cull her.

I am looking for a quick, humane way to do this. She won't be eaten due to her being sick.

Thank you

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I'd do a kill cone (or hang upside down) and slit her throat. It seems disturbing, but the blood loss should put her unconscious in around 20 seconds, and a sharp blade should minimize pain. Hanging upside-down is also calming factor for birds, so I think this is one of the more humane and (at least for me) less unnerving deaths for chickens. There are plenty of youtube videos of it, and a decent Buzzfeed clip of Foodies killing their food for the first time. Wishing you the best with this, the worst bit of poultry keeping.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    The Broomstick method is another option.

4. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Sorry for you having to deal with a sick bird. I had to put down a few in my flock after the floods here. We tried a few things. My advice is to not use an ax. It was messy and brutal and the chicken doesn't just lay there and make it easy. It's basically trying to hit a moving target.

My husband takes them out for me with a .22. Gun in one hand, chicken in the other. It's quick, clean, and accurate. They do flop around but they're already dead by the time that happens.

Sorry again:(

5. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    This is my recommendation too just let them become calm and still before you cut the throat and you do need to make sure you get the jugular veins so cut deeply and use a very sharp knife.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

For culling a bird you won't be eating, dislocation of the neck is a good way to go about it...no blood, no mess, very quick. There are various ways to dislocate a bird's neck...broomstick, by hand(not wringing, as it's not always successful, particularly in older hens), by inserting the head into something that will hold it and then yanking hard in the opposite direction(I've used tailgate cables on the truck before), etc.

One lady here uses a BB or pellet gun as well and that seems pretty bloodless and quick also.

Here's one way and I've used it with much success....the head only comes off in very young birds and will often do so in the broomstick method as well. This is the best one I've seen on the method I use...the quick up and down jerk, using the bird's own body weight and momentum to dislocate the C1-C2 joint. You'll see less post mortem flapping and movement when using the dislocation method, especially when done effectively.

[​IMG]

7. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Thank you to all of you guys for your suggestions

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by