1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culling buf birds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So im working on Buff Old English Game Bantams with my brother and this year we have a few birds and its time to start making cuts. This year I really wanna cull weak colored birds. My youngstock are three months old, is that too early? What can I look for in a young bird that will have decent coloring? Right now they are all out of the sun so they are not faded out.

Thanks guys!

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:first and most important is their uniformity... then the shade of color you want, Light buff, dark buff, lemon, but needs to be uniform I would wait untill the boys start chasing the girls by that time you would know who is the keeper or the culls..

I would love to see your pics as I love the buff color and OEG in general

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Dan Honour is the guy to talk to about Buff.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:first and most important is their uniformity... then the shade of color you want, Light buff, dark buff, lemon, but needs to be uniform I would wait untill the boys start chasing the girls by that time you would know who is the keeper or the culls..

I would love to see your pics as I love the buff color and OEG in general

I would have to agree, the pullets will be easier to cull for color problems but an even shade is the most important thing with Buff. The Cockrells wait until they are at least 5 months to cull for color, if you have obvious type problems that would be the first issue to address and work color over the next 3-5 generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by